How to Keep Your Possessions in Your Garage!
- Make sure your property is well lit.
- Bright outdoor lights cost about $25.00.
- Keeping lights on costs just a few dollars a month.
- Special sensors are available to turn lights on at dusk and off at daybreak, so you don't have to remember.
- Be sure lights are out of reach and can't be broken.
- Use lights with motion detectors: some devices screw right into the light socket.
- Borrow your precinct's etching tool to mark your belongings.
- Etching should have your address or driver's license number, but not your social security number.
- Write your name on your garden tools with permanent marker.
- Extend your home security system to your garage.
Trees and Shrubs
- Remove overgrown trees and shrubs.
- Keep shrubs under two feet tall.
- Plant roses, barberry, or other shrubs with thorns under windows.
Be a Nosey Neighbor
- Be aware of who lives around you.
- Alert the police about suspicious people or vehicles in your area.
- Secure equipment inside your garage with a chain attached to a fixed metal ring or concrete post.
- Store out-of-season equipment in your basement: lawn mowers, snow blowers, chain saws, etc.